About the Book
Title: Love Songs & Other Lies
Author: Jessica Pennington
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: April 24th, 2018
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Synopsis: It’s summer romance and second chances, the songs that stay in your head, and the boy you’ll never forget.
Two years after rock-song-worthy heartbreak, Virginia Miller is looking forward to a fun, carefree summer. Her friends just landed a spot on a battling bands reality show, and Vee is joining them for her dream internship on tour. Three months with future rockstars seems like an epic summer plan. Until she learns she’ll also be sharing the bus with Cam. Her first love, and her first heartbreak. Now Vee has more than just cameras to dodge, and Cam’s determination to win her forgiveness is causing TMZ-worthy problems for both of them. With cameras rolling, she’ll have to decide if her favorite breakup anthem deserves a new ending. And if she’s brave enough to expose her own secrets to keep Cam’s under wraps.
My Playlist for Love Songs & Other Lies
My Bullet-Point Review
My rating : ★★★★☆
Thanks to the author and the publisher for sending me an e-copy of this book via Netgalley!
- this book was written after the author listened to say something by a great big world and christina aguilera and therefore it’s a second chance romance. you get the love-to-hate-to-love trope and it’s going to be quite painful.
- there are many original songs in this one because the book is focused on bands and Vee, the protagonist, is also a singer and songwriter.
- my favourite parts of this book include the angst (i’m such a huge fan of angst), the fact that the story is being told back and forth between the past and the present, switching between the period when Vee and Cam met and slowly got together to the time where they are broken up and on the bus and alsooo grandmas (!!!) – there are not enough grandmothers in the ya literature.
- I also enjoy books that include reality shows because they are so full of intrigue, let’s talk about the situation in this one, just think how awkward it would be to have cameras on you and your ex, both of you still having feelings for each other. I know it would be terribly awkward for me (thankfully I don’t have an ex, so I’m covered). But I had so much second-hand embarrassment for Vee whenever someone would point how Cam is staring at her in a certain way. Oh god.
- there is a huge reveal near the end of the book and wow, it was quite unexpected, even though I’m good at seeing those things coming. But I didn’t see it coming this time. It was really good.
- love songs & other lies has a great message when it comes to achieving your goals and becoming the best version of yourself. I think I related a lot to Vee because I’m also afraid of doing things I’d love to do (like writing) because what if people don’t enjoy it??? I also loved how Vee got over her fear mostly due to herself and not because of Cam.
- there are so many parts of this book taking place on the beach and the summer nostalgia was huge with this one. But they were so romantic as well, Cam and Vee are just really cute, okay? I love how they fought for each other, both of them really wanted for the other to be happy and I don’t know, they are kind of goals.
- all in all, I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a summer read with second chance romances, bands and lots of fun!
About the Author
Jessica Pennington is no stranger to the combination of love and drama. She’s a wedding planner, after all. A writer since the age of ten—when she sought publication for her poem about a tree—Jessica likes the challenge of finding the humor in a sad situation or highlighting the awkwardness in a romantic one. She lives in a Michigan beach town suspiciously similar to the one in her books, where she’s currently finishing her second novel, WHEN SUMMER ENDS, out April 2019.
1 winner will receive a signed hardcover of LOVE SONGS & OTHER LIES along with a swag bag filled with a t-shirt, bookmark, stickers, buttons, etc.
Rules are included inside the Rafflecopter giveaway
US only, 18+ or with parental permission
Ends on midnight May 12th, CDT
Check it out here.